FileZilla is a File Transfer Protocol program available for free.
- Follow this link to
- Select "save this file to disk" option when download window opens.
- Save this file to your desktop.
*** If you don’t have option to choose where to save the download then the file will be located in the computer’s downloads folder.
The download will begin. You may need to click "Close" when the
download is complete.
- To install the program, double-click its icon located on the
desktop or in the download folder of your computer depending on the
location that it was downloaded to.
- Go through the installation process.
- Start the program by going to the Start > All Programs > FileZilla FTP Client > FileZilla on the bottom left-hand corner of your computer screen.
*** If you are using Windows 8.1 then go to the START screen by clicking the icon on the lower left part of the screen. Now type FileZilla
(when you start typing a search box will open). Now right click on the FileZilla search result and you can choose to pin it to your start
screen or the task bar. Going forward the program will be available to start from your chosen location. Click the FileZilla icon to start the program.
- Click File and then Site Manager.
- Click on New Site.
- Type the following information into the fields
- Site Name: student_ftp
- Host: ceweb.uml.edu
- Protocol: FTP – File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Require implicit FTP over TLS
- Logon Type: Normal
- User: Your online course username
- Password: Your online course password
- Click “Connect” to access your ftp directory
- You are prompt to trust the certificate
- Click OK to logon to the FTP server
- You should see your directory on the ceweb.uml.edu FTP
server on the right side of the interface.
*Please note: Some instructors may require you to download files from a course directory on the server. If your instructor requires this,
double click the yellow folder with a question mark (see figure below) in the right side of the window. Click the folder with
the number that corresponds to your course (ex: 90.230.031).
Follow the steps below to upload or download files to the web.
Uploading files using FileZilla client:
- Start the FileZilla FTP client. Connect to the server you just configured.
- To upload files to the server, select all files you wish to upload from the window on the left and right-click on mouse, and then select Upload.
Downloading files to your computer using FileZilla client:
- To download* files from the server to your computer, select all files you wish to download from the window on the right.
- In the left window, select the location on your computer where you wish to save the files.
- Right-click on mouse, and then select Download.
*If your instructor requires you to download files from the course directory on the server, make sure to click the folder with the
corresponding course number first to enter this directory before trying to download files.
How do I view the web pages I've uploaded?
Note: Your homepage must be named "index.htm" or "index.html"
- Start your web browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Google Chrome etc.).
- In the URL box enter a web address using this format:
*this is your online course username
If John Doe were taking a class, he would type in:
Can I get help with this if I'm having trouble?
If you have trouble uploading your files, you may want to speak to your instructor, call (978) 934-2467 or email
Tech Support. Note: You can only have access to student FTP if your class requires it.